Help Center

Carbon Monoxide

What is carbon monoxide and where does it come from?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, and potentially deadly toxic gas. It comes from the incomplete combustion of fuels such as wood, butane, coal, petrol, oil, natural gas, petroleum and propane. It prevents the blood's ability to transport oxygen. For your safety, it is recommended to install carbon monoxide detectors to measure carbon monoxide levels.

What are the effects of exposure to carbon monoxide?

It depends on the level of exposure to carbon monoxide:

  • 100 ppm: Mild exposure. Mild headaches, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, flu-like symptoms.
  • 200 ppm: Medium exposure. Throbbing headaches, drowsiness, confusion, rapid heart rate.
  • 400 ppm: High exposure. Dizziness, nausea, visual impairment, muscular weakness. Risk of death after 3 hours of exposure.
  • 800 ppm: Extreme exposure. Convulsions, loss of consciousness, brain damage, heart and lung failure followed by death. Risk of death after 2 hours of exposure.

How can I avoid carbon monoxide poisoning?

Make sure your home is equipped with carbon monoxide alarms and that your heating and ventilation system, chimney and flues are inspected annually by a qualified technician."


Was this article helpful?

Need more help? Submit a request